Have you ever wondered why people leave their car keys on their tires? It’s common at a trailhead or boater vehicles, but why do people do it?
One of the main reasons is to prevent theft. If you leave your keys in an obvious spot, it gets easier to direct an aide when there is an emergency or when you’re in trouble. It also prevents the keys from getting lost in the wild or the water and requires you to call Keys on Wheels for help. Another reason is to make it easier to find your keys when you’re ready to leave. They could fall out and be lost in the darkness if they’re in your pocket.
Is It the Safest Option?
Leaving your keys on your tire is not the safest option, but it does offer some benefits. However, it does bring about the potential for theft or a child safety issue.
When a car thief approaches your vehicle, the first thing they’re going to do is check for an unlocked door. If all the doors are locked, their next step is to look for an open window. If they can’t find an open window, their next step is to try to break a window. But if the car keys are on the tire, they can grab the keys and drive off without having to break into the vehicle.
Kids love to experiment and try new things. If your young one was to find your keys on the tire, they could quickly climb into the car and start playing with the buttons and gear shift. If you have an automatic car, it’s not a big deal. But if you have a manual car, they could easily put it into gear and start driving. This is a serious safety hazard.
You should only leave your keys on your tire if you are in a safe location and can keep an eye on them.
Alternative Safe Places to Keep Your Keys Safe
Keeping your car keys on the tire might seem like the best option during a quick stop, but there are other places you can keep your keys that are just as safe, if not safer. Here are some ideas:
- In your pocket – When you’re getting in and out of your car, make sure to put your keys in your pocket. This way, you’ll always know where they are, and you won’t have to worry about them falling out. You can have them on a keychain or lanyard to ensure they don’t get lost.
- On a keychain – A keychain can be a great way to keep your keys together and easily find. Plus, you’ll be less likely to lose your keys if they’re attached to something. The keychain doesn’t have to be anything special – a simple one from the dollar store will work just fine.
- In a purse or bag – If you have a purse or bag, make sure to put your keys inside. That way, they’ll be out of sight and out of mind until you need them. Pick a purse or bag with a zipper so you don’t have to worry about your keys falling out.
- In a safe – If you’re worried about losing your keys, you can always keep them in a safe. This way, you’ll know they’re always in one place, and you won’t have to worry about them getting lost.
- In a locked car – If you’re going to be away from your vehicle for a while, make sure to lock your keys inside. That way, you won’t have to worry about them getting stolen. And the good news is, you can call a locksmith to get them out when you get back.
What To Do If Your Car Keys Get Lost
Don’t freak out if you do manage to misplace your car keys. Make a call to a locksmith as soon as possible. They’ll be able to help you get new keys made, and they can also help you find your old ones if they’re still around. You can always call a tow truck if you can’t find a locksmith. They’ll be able to help you get your car towed to a safe location, and they can also help you find your keys.
When it comes to hiring a locksmith, there are a few things you should take into consideration. Be sure to check that they are licensed, insured, and have plenty of experience. You should also get a written estimate and ask about any warranty information. By following these tips, you can be sure to hire the best possible locksmith for your needs.